2015 APN Grantees

Dauda Garuba

Reflecting on the Cycle of Violence in West Africa

Garuba, Dauda. “Reflecting on the Cycle of Violence in West Africa,” Wathi, October 19, 2015.

Godfrey Maringira 

Between Justification and Remorse: Healing of Past Memories Among Zimbabwean Former Soldiers in South Africa

Maringira, Godfrey, Lorena Nunez, and Annemiek Richters. “Between Justification and Remorse: Healing of Past Memories Among Zimbabwean Former Soldiers in South Africa.” Springer Publications (2015).

“It’s in My Blood”: The Military Habitus of Former Zimbabwean Soldiers in Exile in South Africa

Maringira, Godfrey. “‘It’s in My Blood’: The Military Habitus of Former Zimbabwean Soldiers in Exile in South Africa.” Armed Forces & Society 41, no. 1 (2015): 23-42.

“Once a Soldier, a Soldier Forever”: Exiled Zimbabwean Soldiers in South Africa 

Maringira, Godfrey. “‘Once a Soldier, a Soldier Forever”: Exiled Zimbabwean Soldiers in South Africa.” Medical Anthropology: Cross-Cultural Studies in Health and Illness 34, no. 4 (2015): 319-335. 

Jacinta Mwende Maweu

Kujenga Amani: Kill Us Together or Leave Us Alone: The Beginning of the End of Al-Shabaab Menace in Kenya

Maweu, Jacinta Mwende. “Kill Us Together or Leave Us Alone: The Beginning of the End of Al-Shabaab Menace in Kenya.” Kujenga Amani. February 17, 2016. 

Jeremiah Arowosegbe

Citizenship and Resource Competition in Nigeria

Arowosegbe, Jeremiah O. “Citizenship and Resource Competition in Nigeria”.(2015) Anthropological Forum DOI: 10.1080/00664677.2015.1121861

Endogenous knowledge and the development question in Africa

Arowosegbe, Jeremiah O. “Endogenous knowledge and the development question in Africa”. (2015) Cambridge Review of International Affairs DOI: 10.1080/09557571.2015.1060692

Ethnic Minorities and the Land Question in Nigeria

Arowosegbe, Jeremiah O. “Ethnic Minorities and the Land Question in Nigeria”. (2016) Review of African Political Economy DOI: 10.1080/03056244.2015.1126816 

Musa Adam Abdul-Jalil 

Past, present and future: Fifty years of anthropology in Sudan 

Assal, Munzoul A.M., and Musa Adam Abdul-Jalil, eds. Past, Present, and Future: Fifty Years of Anthropology in Sudan. Bergen: Chr. Michelsen Institute.

Retribalisation of the Educated Elite in Darfur and the Phenomenon of Tribal Shura Councils; with a Special Reference to the Fur Shura Council

Abdul-Jalil, Musa Adam. “Retribalisation of the Educated Elite in Darfur and the Phenomenon of Tribal Shura Councils; with a Special Reference to the Fur Shura Council”. (2014) Bergen: Chr. Michelsen Institute (CMI Sudan Working Paper SWP 2014:5) 22p. 

Constituencies of conflict and opportunity: Land rights, narratives and collective action in Darfur

Abdul-Jalil, Musa Adam, and Unruh, Jon D. “Constituencies of conflict and opportunity: Land rights, narratives and collective action in Darfur”. Political Geography 42 (September 2014): 104-116.

Peace A. Medie

Women and Postconflict Security: A Study of Police Response to Domestic Violence in Liberia

Medie, Peace A. “Women and Postconflict Security: A Study of Police Response to Domestic Violence in Liberia.” Politics & Gender 11, no. 03 (2015): 478-98.

Kujenga Amani: The Path to the Ivoirian Presidential Elections: Past Strife and Current Challenges

Medie, Peace A. “The Path to the Ivoirian Presidential Elections: Past Strife and Current Challenges.” Kujenga Amani. October 23, 2015. 

Robert Ramborah Simuyu

“I Know How to Handle My Husband”: Intra-household Decision-Making and Urban Food Production in Kenya

Simuyu, Robert Ramborah. “‘I Know How to Handle My Husband’: Intra-household Decision-Making and Urban Food Production in Kenya.” Eastern Africa Social Science Research Review 31, no. 02 (2015): 63-81. 

Geography Students’ Assessment of Internship Experience at a Kenyan University

Simuyu, Robert Ramborah. “Geography Students’ Assessment of Internship Experience at a Kenyan University.” Journal of Geography in Higher Education 39, no. 03 (2015): 343-355.

Washikala Malango 

Armed Groups and Mineral Extraction in the DRC